Newbie: getting output from a Microvax to a VT320 terminal
Headley Sappleton
2005-11-04 15:29:13 UTC
I am new to Digital VAX systems and I am trying to get a vt320 terminal to
work with a microvax II box (MMJ ports). I already tried these newsgroups
before, but the setting suggested has not worked. or maybe i am not doing it
correctly. I believe the FAQ would be a good help, except that I do not have
access to the FAQ. Can someone point me to the faq and where in it this
particular issue is addressed.

I have a Microvax II (MMJ ports) an MMJ cable and a VT320 terminal with MMJ
ports

regards
Micheal H. McCabe
2005-11-04 17:01:48 UTC
Post by Headley Sappleton
I am new to Digital VAX systems and I am trying to get a vt320 terminal to
work with a microvax II box (MMJ ports). I already tried these newsgroups
before, but the setting suggested has not worked. or maybe i am not doing it
correctly. I believe the FAQ would be a good help, except that I do not have
access to the FAQ. Can someone point me to the faq and where in it this
particular issue is addressed.
I have a Microvax II (MMJ ports) an MMJ cable and a VT320 terminal with MMJ
ports
regards
I'd start by looking at the cable:

To connect the Microvax to the VT320 (both DTE), we need the following
signal cross-over cable:

MMJ VAX----------MMJ TERM

1 ---------------> 6
2 ---------------> 5
3 ---------------> 4
4 ---------------> 3
5 ---------------> 2
6 ---------------> 1

Some of the cable's I've seen connect pin-1 to pin-1 etc, instead of the
desired inverse.

I've also seen MMJ connectors applied to ethernet cables, which have a
different cross-over.

You might also consider getting an RS-232 breakout box and looking at the
signals:

MMJ VAX----------Signal

1 -----------> Data Terminal Ready
2 -----------> Transmit Data (TX+)
3 ------------ Transmit Ground (TX-)
4 ------------ Receive Ground (Rx-)
5 <----------- Receive Data (Rx+)
6 <----------- Data Set Ready

Hooking the MMJ up to a terminal with a standard RS-232 port (DTE) looks
like this:

MMJ VAX --------- Terminal

1 ------------> 20 (DTR TO DSR)

2 ------------> 2 (Tx+ to RD)

3 ------------+
+- 7 (Signal Ground)
4 ------------+

5 <------------ 3 (TD to RX+)

6 ------------+- 6 DSR + CD
+- 8

+- 4 CTS + DTE on Terminal Side
+- 5
David J Dachtera
2005-11-05 03:27:31 UTC
Post by Headley Sappleton
I am new to Digital VAX systems and I am trying to get a vt320 terminal to
work with a microvax II box (MMJ ports). I already tried these newsgroups
before, but the setting suggested has not worked. or maybe i am not doing it
correctly. I believe the FAQ would be a good help, except that I do not have
access to the FAQ. Can someone point me to the faq and where in it this
particular issue is addressed.
I have a Microvax II (MMJ ports) an MMJ cable and a VT320 terminal with MMJ
ports
There are a lot of uVAX-II devotees over on comp.os.vms.

I haven't seen one for years, but I recall the console port not being an
MMJ, more likely either DB-9 or DB-25. There should be a paddle switch
nearby (break enable) and a rotary switch (console language select) as
well as a single character digital display (3 at the console, 0 when the
o.s. is running).

The OpenVMS FAQ includes uVAX-II info., including the pinouts, data
rates and formats:

http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
--
David J Dachtera