help on Digital DEClaser 5100 printer
Headley Sappleton
2005-10-18 02:19:27 UTC
please excuse me if the post is not appropiate for this group. although i am
currently using it on Windows, i do believe these are the relevant groups to
get help.
I have a Digital DEClaser 5100 printer without the network card that works
quite well via a parallel port. Recently a procured one of the network card
and installed it but not getting anywhere as far as printing from network is
concerned. I am thinking it is a driver issue or maybe the printer or card
need reset. I am also having a problem with the setup panel. At some point
is says that
"setup locked". i probably do not know how to use that properly and may need
some help on that too. i believe it would be a great help if i could print
out the IP address so i can set it up. Any help appreciated

regards
unknown
2005-10-18 02:30:10 UTC
Somebody once sent me the DEClaser 5100 (aka LN09) User's Guides. They were
scanned and converted to PDFs. The whole mess is a very large ZIP file, but if
you want to give me your (for sure) valid email address, and your ISP allows
megamonster attachments, I can send it to you. It's about 6MB.

I also have the service manual in original PDF form.

These are nice printers, a lot like HP's LaserJet 4 Plus and LaserJet 5, with
the same Canon engine. They keep pumping out the paper better than these newer
cheap plastic sub-$200 laser printers flooding the market... Ben Myers email:
***@charter.net

regards
Douglas A. Gwyn
2005-10-18 13:42:20 UTC
Please contribute those to bitsavers.org
unknown
2005-10-18 16:35:49 UTC
I would be happy to do so if someone would provide me with a login that works
for FTP to the site... Ben Myers
Paul Williams
2005-10-18 14:39:20 UTC
Post by unknown
Somebody once sent me the DEClaser 5100 (aka LN09) User's Guides. They were
scanned and converted to PDFs. The whole mess is a very large ZIP file, but if
you want to give me your (for sure) valid email address, and your ISP allows
megamonster attachments, I can send it to you. It's about 6MB.
I also have the service manual in original PDF form.
These are online already, as Manx reveals:

http://vt100.net/manx/search?on=0;cp=1;num=100;q=declaser+5100
Paul
unknown
Paul
Richard Tomkins
2005-10-18 03:49:03 UTC
If you max out the memory on these, they rock.

They used to come with some floppies to set them up.

I seem to remember that reverse ARP was used to set the IP Address.

If you can get the unit to dump out the configuration, then you will know
how it is set up, including the IP and then you could temporarily set up a
PC to speak to it on the same network, and then do the reverse ARP thing.

The usual sequence for configuring the DEClaser 5100 NIC is:

First, ensure that the network card in the printer is installed,
that the appropriate network connection is enabled, and that there
is no network cable attached to the printer.

Power the printer on and it prints the start page and the network
page. You should see the physical address of the network card, and
it should indicate TCP/IP INACTIVE.

Turn off the power and hook up the network cable.

Power back on and you get the start page printed.

Use the Windows NT command "arp -s 127.0.0.1 00-11-22-33-44-55"
or the equivilent OpenVMS TCPIP command "SET ARP 00-11-22-33-44-55
127.0.0.1" command to set up the data base for the address you want.
(You must substitute the IP address you want to use and the physical
address from the printer's configuration page in these commands.)

Use "arp -a" or SHOW ARP to display the local data base.

Use the command "ping 127.0.0.1" or "PING 127.0.0.1". The ping will
fail -- this is the command that transfers the IP address over to the
printer NIC.

Power off the printer and then power it back on.

The printer configuration page will now (hopefully) contain the port
address. eg: 100001.

Use the command "ping 127.0.0.1" or "PING 127.0.0.1". The ping will
(should) succeed.
unknown
2005-10-18 12:02:56 UTC
Indeed! Once the computer is up and running on the network, max out the memory.
The ever-bloated Windows environment eats all the memory it can get, whether in
computers or printers. Somehow, the blithering fools who "enginner" the Windows
print software have managed from release to release to pass more and more data
to the printer to digest. This trend started with the transition from Windows
3.1 to Windows 95 and has not changed since.

I seem to recall that the memory in the LN09 is fairly common fast-page mode
72-pin SIMMs with parity, but I need to check the exact specs. It is less fussy
than the HP LaserJet 4, the first of the HP printers to use add-on memory with a
common form factor... Ben Myers
Post by Richard Tomkins
If you max out the memory on these, they rock.
<SNIP!>