Power Supply Needed
Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress
2004-05-03 14:54:55 UTC
Group;

It seems my DEC PPro Celebris 5000 can't get past the bios screen. Can't
boot to floppy, hdd, or CD (never could to cd tho). I even get held up in
the "setup" program.

Is my power supply going? Is it something else potentially?

TNX

Doug
Hans Vlems
May be the battery that lives on the motherboard?
Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress
2004-05-03 20:45:28 UTC
Post by Hans Vlems
Post by Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress
boot to floppy, hdd, or CD (never could to cd tho). I even get held up in
the "setup" program.
Is my power supply going? Is it something else potentially?
TNX
Doug
May be the battery that lives on the motherboard?
Thanks Hans;

I see the BIOS screen and then the machine halts, like there is not enough
power to start the hard drives. I just changed the IDE ribbon cable; no
luck. This drive was working last week. I don't get it.

Doug
unknown
2004-05-03 22:02:30 UTC
Doug,

If you want a care package of another power supply and another battery, both in
working order, for the system, let me know. No absolute guarantees, but worth
a try and not hopelessly expensive... Ben

Doug
Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress
2004-05-04 14:11:26 UTC
Post by Hans Vlems
Post by Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress
boot to floppy, hdd, or CD (never could to cd tho). I even get held up in
the "setup" program.
Is my power supply going? Is it something else potentially?
TNX
Doug
May be the battery that lives on the motherboard?
Yup, was the 7 year old CMOS battery.

TNX

Doug
Hans Vlems
2004-05-04 17:02:14 UTC
Post by Hans Vlems
Post by Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress
the "setup" program.
Is my power supply going? Is it something else potentially?
TNX
Doug
May be the battery that lives on the motherboard?
Yup, was the 7 year old CMOS battery.
TNX
Doug
A dying CMOS battery causes all kinds of strange effects on the PC. Usually
at the worst possible moment. In our case my wife was writing a graduation
thesis. The Word file was approx. 20 MB in size and every (literally) time
she saved the file the computer rebooted.
The first suspect was Word and I tried a service pack. No luck. Next the OS,
again no service pack for W2k helped. So I opened up the system to remove
all but the most essential hardware to see whether it was hardware related.
That same evening a friend visited us and the first thing he said when
seeing
the PC with most of its parts out was: "Hey, the CMOS battery is sure
difficult to replace on these things, right?"
His own PC, an identical system had a failed battery a couple of days
earlier.
The battery (the system actually) was 5 years old at the time.

Hans
Doug Holtz NOSPAM in adress
2004-05-05 22:33:14 UTC
Post by Hans Vlems
[...]
Yup, my machine wouldn't boot at all. Swapped ribbon cables, etc. Glad it
was just a battery.

Doug
Robert Santos
2004-10-10 04:35:20 UTC
Ill sell you celebris power supply $35+15 shipping

***@zoominternet.net