will a vt320 work with a VAX 8600 mainframe
stewart allen
2004-08-27 01:05:15 UTC
will a vt320 work with a VAX 8600 mainframe
--
http://QLiner.com

The goal of the works of a genius' existance lies only in itself.
h***@aracnet.com
2004-08-27 17:24:48 UTC
Post by stewart allen
will a vt320 work with a VAX 8600 mainframe
Um... Define work. As long as you have a way to connect it you can use it
as a terminal for the VAX. OTOH, it can't be the system console.

Zane
Warner Losh
2004-09-01 23:11:00 UTC
Post by h***@aracnet.com
Post by stewart allen
will a vt320 work with a VAX 8600 mainframe
Um... Define work. As long as you have a way to connect it you can use it
as a terminal for the VAX. OTOH, it can't be the system console.
I'm not sure I agree with the last bit. The VAX 8600 didn't have any
graphics console, but instead used a serial console. You can use any
supported ASCII terminal for that console. I've seen VT100s, VT220s
and the like used on 8600 and 8650 machines, so I see no reason why
one couldn't use a VT320. The boot roms will support it, and
VMS/Ultrix/NetBSD/OpenBSD all have excellent support for the VT320.

Warner
h***@aracnet.com
2004-09-01 23:43:01 UTC
Post by Warner Losh
Post by h***@aracnet.com
Post by stewart allen
will a vt320 work with a VAX 8600 mainframe
Um... Define work. As long as you have a way to connect it you can use it
as a terminal for the VAX. OTOH, it can't be the system console.
I'm not sure I agree with the last bit. The VAX 8600 didn't have any
graphics console, but instead used a serial console. You can use any
supported ASCII terminal for that console. I've seen VT100s, VT220s
and the like used on 8600 and 8650 machines, so I see no reason why
one couldn't use a VT320. The boot roms will support it, and
VMS/Ultrix/NetBSD/OpenBSD all have excellent support for the VT320.
Maybe I'm getting my 8000 series VAXen mixed up, I thought an 8600 required
a DEC Professional with the VAX Console software attached to it via a
special interface.

Zane
Mike Cesari
2004-09-02 01:12:58 UTC
Post by h***@aracnet.com
Post by Warner Losh
Post by h***@aracnet.com
Post by stewart allen
will a vt320 work with a VAX 8600 mainframe
Um... Define work. As long as you have a way to connect it you can use it
as a terminal for the VAX. OTOH, it can't be the system console.
I'm not sure I agree with the last bit. The VAX 8600 didn't have any
graphics console, but instead used a serial console. You can use any
supported ASCII terminal for that console. I've seen VT100s, VT220s
and the like used on 8600 and 8650 machines, so I see no reason why
one couldn't use a VT320. The boot roms will support it, and
VMS/Ultrix/NetBSD/OpenBSD all have excellent support for the VT320.
Maybe I'm getting my 8000 series VAXen mixed up, I thought an 8600 required
a DEC Professional with the VAX Console software attached to it via a
special interface.
The 86x0 had a console system _similar_ to that of the 11/78x. There was
an F11-based system (ran RT11) with an rl02 instead of the 11/03 and rx01.

Mike
--
mcesari
(at)
comcast(dot)net
Bob Kaplow
2004-10-30 16:52:18 UTC
Post by h***@aracnet.com
Maybe I'm getting my 8000 series VAXen mixed up, I thought an 8600 required
a DEC Professional with the VAX Console software attached to it via a
special interface.
You are. The PRO was the 8800 series console.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
Post by h***@aracnet.com
To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<
Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

26-October, 2001: A day that will live in infamy
Support Freedom: http://www.indefenseoffreedom.org/

Voting for "the lesser of two evils" is still voting for evil.