how to get Ultrix on MicroVax 3100?
Winfried Bergmann
2004-10-28 14:25:40 UTC
Hello,

I've downloaded an ultrix 4.0 distribution for VAX from an ftp server,
containing 38 files, which I think are TK50 images (record size of files is
10240 byte, except the first two, with 512 byte record size). I'd like to
get this running on my MicroVAX 3100 (/10 I think) with an external TK50
SCSI drive.
I don't have a clue, how to get those images installed on the machine. The
VAX is currently running OpenVMS 5.5.2 and I don't know, how to produce tape
images, which boot from the TK50 drive, how to distribute the images to
tapes and so on. I'm not sure, if the ultrix distribution is even supported
on this machine. Does anyone have some information on this? Haven't found
much for this object in the internet.

kind regards,
Winfried
j***@aol.com
2004-10-28 13:34:08 UTC
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Hello,
I've downloaded an ultrix 4.0 distribution for VAX from an ftp server,
containing 38 files, which I think are TK50 images (record size of files is
10240 byte, except the first two, with 512 byte record size). I'd like to
get this running on my MicroVAX 3100
Which came first? Ultrix 4.0 or MicroVAX 3100? If Ultrix 4.0
was first, it can't have the [what I think of as] CPU driver
for the 3100 in its image because the image was built before
the hardware existed.

<snip>

Check your dates.

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.
Winfried Bergmann
2004-10-28 15:45:32 UTC
Post by Winfried Bergmann
10240 byte, except the first two, with 512 byte record size). I'd like to
get this running on my MicroVAX 3100
Which came first? Ultrix 4.0 or MicroVAX 3100? If Ultrix 4.0
was first, it can't have the [what I think of as] CPU driver
for the 3100 in its image because the image was built before
the hardware existed.
<snip>
Check your dates.
Not sure which one was first, they possibly appeared within the same time
frame.
I also got 4.2 and both packages included source. I checked one of the two
source trees (4.0 or 4.2, not sure which one) and "MicroVAX 3100" was
mentioned in one of the CPU source files, so I guess, it's supported (but
also not sure, if fully).

regards
Winfried
j***@aol.com
2004-10-29 09:14:23 UTC
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Post by Winfried Bergmann
10240 byte, except the first two, with 512 byte record size). I'd like to
get this running on my MicroVAX 3100
Which came first? Ultrix 4.0 or MicroVAX 3100? If Ultrix 4.0
was first, it can't have the [what I think of as] CPU driver
for the 3100 in its image because the image was built before
the hardware existed.
<snip>
Check your dates.
Not sure which one was first, they possibly appeared within the same time
frame.
I also got 4.2 and both packages included source. I checked one of the two
source trees (4.0 or 4.2, not sure which one) and "MicroVAX 3100" was
mentioned in one of the CPU source files, so I guess, it's supported (but
also not sure, if fully).
I wasn't involved with packaging any of this stuff. If Ultrix
used DEC's usual methods (things changed in the late 80s), the
source would imply a monitor that would run on 3100. However,
this doesn't imply that the monitor EXEs that you have on your
distribution tape were configured to run on a 3100. In PDP-10
land the EXEs we shipped were built for each flavor of CPU.
Do you think you could try a build for the 3100?

Winfried Bergmann
2004-10-29 10:57:15 UTC
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Hello,
I've downloaded an ultrix 4.0 distribution for VAX from an ftp server,
containing 38 files, which I think are TK50 images (record size of
files
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Post by j***@aol.com
is
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by Winfried Bergmann
[...]
Not sure about that. I'd need a cross compiler. And I don't know, what's
part of an installation package or a boot monitor and how to build a
bootable TK50 image, if I'd get a boot image to build.
So, what would be part of a boot image for a TK50 drive on a mVAX? What
would be the installation procedure, if the image files I got, would be
suitable for my mVAX? What where the contents of the TK50 images?

regards,
Winfried
j***@aol.com
2004-10-31 12:31:42 UTC
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Hello,
I've downloaded an ultrix 4.0 distribution for VAX from an ftp server,
containing 38 files, which I think are TK50 images (record size of
files
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Post by j***@aol.com
is
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by Winfried Bergmann
source trees (4.0 or 4.2, not sure which one) and "MicroVAX 3100" was
mentioned in one of the CPU source files, so I guess, it's supported (but
also not sure, if fully).
I wasn't involved with packaging any of this stuff. If Ultrix
used DEC's usual methods (things changed in the late 80s), the
source would imply a monitor that would run on 3100. However,
this doesn't imply that the monitor EXEs that you have on your
distribution tape were configured to run on a 3100. In PDP-10
land the EXEs we shipped were built for each flavor of CPU.
Do you think you could try a build for the 3100?
Not sure about that. I'd need a cross compiler.
Why?
Post by Winfried Bergmann
.. And I don't know, what's
part of an installation package or a boot monitor and how to build a
bootable TK50 image, if I'd get a boot image to build.
Isn't that TK50 tape just a way to get a system up with a cold
start?
Post by Winfried Bergmann
So, what would be part of a boot image for a TK50 drive on a mVAX?
<shrug> Again, I didn't work on packaging Ultrix and I am unable
to recall what I learned when I did my crash course with Ultrix.
Everything I needed was in the docs but I did not build a bootable
tape.
Post by Winfried Bergmann
... What
would be the installation procedure, if the image files I got, would be
suitable for my mVAX? What where the contents of the TK50 images?
I thought you said you had sources? Along with those sources you
should have received build procedures. We (TOPS-10) shipped instructions
to build a site-specific bootable tape, but I have no idea if
Ultrix did. Ours was documented in the Monitor Installation Guide.
I would presume that the Ultrix folks provided a similar doc. It
would have to distributed in hardcopy because having it in bits
is worthless.

Winfried Bergmann
2004-11-02 10:18:47 UTC
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Post by j***@aol.com
I wasn't involved with packaging any of this stuff. If Ultrix
used DEC's usual methods (things changed in the late 80s), the
source would imply a monitor that would run on 3100. However,
this doesn't imply that the monitor EXEs that you have on your
distribution tape were configured to run on a 3100. In PDP-10
land the EXEs we shipped were built for each flavor of CPU.
Do you think you could try a build for the 3100?
Not sure about that. I'd need a cross compiler.
Why?
I don't have a vax to compile the sources. I don't think, the code, compiled
under linux or solaris will run on vax ;-)
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by Winfried Bergmann
.. And I don't know, what's
part of an installation package or a boot monitor and how to build a
bootable TK50 image, if I'd get a boot image to build.
Isn't that TK50 tape just a way to get a system up with a cold
start?
I tried to dump the files from the distribution to a tape (I don't got the
distrubition on tape, originally), but the boot failed. I'm not sure, if I
made an error or it's not possible to boot on my vax, therefore, I tried to
get some more detailed information on this subject (which block size for the
boot tape, which files must be present on the boot tape, any flags required
for the boot command on the mvax ...)
Post by Winfried Bergmann
... What
would be the installation procedure, if the image files I got, would be
suitable for my mVAX? What where the contents of the TK50 images?
I thought you said you had sources? Along with those sources you
should have received build procedures. We (TOPS-10) shipped instructions
to build a site-specific bootable tape, but I have no idea if
Ultrix did. Ours was documented in the Monitor Installation Guide.
I would presume that the Ultrix folks provided a similar doc. It
would have to distributed in hardcopy because having it in bits
is worthless.
Unfortunately, I don't have build procuedures and I don't expect the
instructions how to build a distribution set in the "guide to installing
ultrix".

thanks anyway,
Winfried
j***@aol.com
2004-11-02 12:52:00 UTC
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Post by j***@aol.com
I wasn't involved with packaging any of this stuff. If Ultrix
used DEC's usual methods (things changed in the late 80s), the
source would imply a monitor that would run on 3100. However,
this doesn't imply that the monitor EXEs that you have on your
distribution tape were configured to run on a 3100. In PDP-10
land the EXEs we shipped were built for each flavor of CPU.
Do you think you could try a build for the 3100?
Not sure about that. I'd need a cross compiler.
Why?
I don't have a vax to compile the sources. I don't think, the code, compiled
under linux or solaris will run on vax ;-)
I don't see why not. The bloody point of using a HLL is to
generate executables that will run. If the source code
is for a foo-flavored CPU, it will generate the ...anyway...
If this is true, then another way is to run Ultrix or VMS
under your linux, and do the build.
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by Winfried Bergmann
.. And I don't know, what's
part of an installation package or a boot monitor and how to build a
bootable TK50 image, if I'd get a boot image to build.
Isn't that TK50 tape just a way to get a system up with a cold
start?
I tried to dump the files from the distribution to a tape (I don't got the
distrubition on tape, originally), but the boot failed.
Sigh! Of course it will fail. Your dump method was not
dumping the correct arrangement of bits. Again, not knowing
about how Ultrix designed their coldstart, I would suspect
that the first few files on the boot tape is first a bootstrap,
then a monitor, then the usermode program that will read the
rest of the data (we called ours BACKUP).

Those first few files were PIPed to the tape, not saved nor
backed up.

The reason for this is because you don't have any code in core;
thus, there is no algorithms, that can be executed by the
CPU, that knows the format used to write the tape.
Post by Winfried Bergmann
... I'm not sure, if I
made an error or it's not possible to boot on my vax,
I'm sure that you made at least one, if not more, errors :-).
This does not rule out broken gear.
Post by Winfried Bergmann
therefore, I tried to
get some more detailed information on this subject
You were given pointers. You need to get a copy of the MIG.
Post by Winfried Bergmann
(which block size for the
boot tape, which files must be present on the boot tape, any flags required
for the boot command on the mvax ...)
It's called the MIG. The usual method of distribution (before
the biz was shut down) was in hardcopy. If Ultrix followed
the golden rules laid down for shutting down the product line,
all of this stuff would have been put into bits somewhere.
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Post by j***@aol.com
to build a site-specific bootable tape, but I have no idea if
Ultrix did. Ours was documented in the Monitor Installation Guide.
I would presume that the Ultrix folks provided a similar doc. It
would have to distributed in hardcopy because having it in bits
is worthless.
Unfortunately, I don't have build procuedures and I don't expect the
instructions how to build a distribution set in the "guide to installing
ultrix".
Well, fuckit. If you're not going to use the fucking documentation
that was written to tell customers how to install a system, then
there isn't anything any of us can do to help you.

DEC's installation procedures do NOT, in any way, resemble the
installation procedures that seem to be prevalent in a certain
non-functional operating system.

j***@aol.com
2004-11-04 13:15:14 UTC
Let me try again; I'll try not to get testy.
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Post by j***@aol.com
I wasn't involved with packaging any of this stuff. If Ultrix
used DEC's usual methods (things changed in the late 80s), the
source would imply a monitor that would run on 3100. However,
this doesn't imply that the monitor EXEs that you have on your
distribution tape were configured to run on a 3100. In PDP-10
land the EXEs we shipped were built for each flavor of CPU.
Do you think you could try a build for the 3100?
Not sure about that. I'd need a cross compiler.
Why?
I don't have a vax to compile the sources.
I thought you had the hardware.
Post by Winfried Bergmann
...I don't think, the code, compiled
under linux or solaris will run on vax ;-)
Run the vax emulator, boot up any OS you want, compile.
There are a thousand ways to build a system.

<snip>
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Unfortunately, I don't have build procuedures and I don't expect the
instructions how to build a distribution set in the "guide to installing
ultrix".
Sigh! It won't tell you how to build a distribution set, but
it will tell you how to make a bootable tape. This isn't VMS
and the Ultrix dudes were pretty good about shipping knowledge.

Winfried Bergmann
2004-11-04 14:25:40 UTC
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Unfortunately, I don't have build procuedures and I don't expect the
instructions how to build a distribution set in the "guide to installing
ultrix".
Sigh! It won't tell you how to build a distribution set, but
it will tell you how to make a bootable tape. This isn't VMS
and the Ultrix dudes were pretty good about shipping knowledge.
I have the hardware, but no system to compile the code. It's running VMS,
but I don't have a C compiler and I'm not sure, if gcc for VMS would run on
it (VMS 5.5) (also not tested yet). I tried to boot the tape files with
simh, but it fails with a controler error. The tape distribution might not
support the QBus, used in the simh simulator (no SCSI in simh). I don't know
of other VAX emulators except Charon-VAX, which is commercial (and I
currently don't have a windows or linux system at home to try the demo
version).

OK, I found out, the boot tape contains a boot monitor (ultrixload(?), a
kernel(?) and a filesystem dump (and of course, the tar'ed packages). I
currently have no possibility to build those files from source for the VAX,
but I currently found a CD image for Ultrix 4.5, which I will try to boot on
my machine. Maybe I can build the needed packages from there.

regards,
Winfried
glen herrmannsfeldt
2004-11-05 09:36:36 UTC
***@aol.com wrote:

(snip)
Post by j***@aol.com
Which came first? Ultrix 4.0 or MicroVAX 3100? If Ultrix 4.0
was first, it can't have the [what I think of as] CPU driver
for the 3100 in its image because the image was built before
the hardware existed.
The whole idea of an architecture, independent of the
implementation, is that software doesn't have to be written
for the specific machine.

There are plenty of people running old IBM operating
systems on newer machines. In one case, I had to change
one bit (in the executable image) because the architecture
did change, to get an old OS to run on a new machine.

-- glen
j***@aol.com
2004-11-05 11:12:55 UTC
Post by glen herrmannsfeldt
(snip)
Post by j***@aol.com
Which came first? Ultrix 4.0 or MicroVAX 3100? If Ultrix 4.0
was first, it can't have the [what I think of as] CPU driver
for the 3100 in its image because the image was built before
the hardware existed.
The whole idea of an architecture, independent of the
implementation, is that software doesn't have to be written
for the specific machine.
Rethink what you just said. We're talking about real OSes here
of the olden days, not an app that claims it's an OS.
Post by glen herrmannsfeldt
There are plenty of people running old IBM operating
systems on newer machines. In one case, I had to change
one bit (in the executable image) because the architecture
did change, to get an old OS to run on a new machine.
Then it wasn't new architecture but an enhanced version of
an old architecture. The KA, KI, KL, and KS were machines
that were different but the same architecture. It meant that
usermode code that ran on one could run on the other if, and
only if, they did not have model-specific machine instructions.
However, a monitor built for a KA would not run on a KL because
[what I think of as] the CPU driver were different.

Now, to get a CPU driver of one model to run on another model
requires an emulation of the first model. This means that all
instructions specific to the first CPU would have to trap when
executed on the second model; then it's a small matter of
programming to emulate the machine instruction.

glen herrmannsfeldt
2004-11-06 09:19:14 UTC
(snip)
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by glen herrmannsfeldt
The whole idea of an architecture, independent of the
implementation, is that software doesn't have to be written
for the specific machine.
Rethink what you just said. We're talking about real OSes here
of the olden days, not an app that claims it's an OS.
How real is OS/360?
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by glen herrmannsfeldt
There are plenty of people running old IBM operating
systems on newer machines. In one case, I had to change
one bit (in the executable image) because the architecture
did change, to get an old OS to run on a new machine.
Then it wasn't new architecture but an enhanced version of
an old architecture. The KA, KI, KL, and KS were machines
that were different but the same architecture. It meant that
usermode code that ran on one could run on the other if, and
only if, they did not have model-specific machine instructions.
However, a monitor built for a KA would not run on a KL because
[what I think of as] the CPU driver were different.
It seems like a mistake to me.

Compilers written for OS/360 will still run on today's
z/Architecture machines, and so will generated code.
(It has been tested with the PL/I and Fortran compilers.)
That is from about 40 years ago.
Post by j***@aol.com
Now, to get a CPU driver of one model to run on another model
requires an emulation of the first model. This means that all
instructions specific to the first CPU would have to trap when
executed on the second model; then it's a small matter of
programming to emulate the machine instruction.
There have been a few cases where IBM didn't maintain
supervisor mode compatibility with a new architecture
as an improved version of S/360, but those are relatively
rare. Problem (user) state code has been maintained,
including the ability to run 24 bit addressing and
31 bit addressing, on 64 bit systems, and mixtures of
all three in the same program.

I remember that emulated double precision on the KA-10
had a different format than hardware double precision
on other models. IBM designed the format of extended
(quadruple) precision floating point to be relatively
easy to write the simulator for, though some bits were
wasted that could have otherwise been used.

-- glen
j***@aol.com
2004-11-06 13:30:06 UTC
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by glen herrmannsfeldt
The whole idea of an architecture, independent of the
implementation, is that software doesn't have to be written
for the specific machine.
Rethink what you just said. We're talking about real OSes here
of the olden days, not an app that claims it's an OS.
How real is OS/360?
It became not very real when it was being emulated.
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by glen herrmannsfeldt
There are plenty of people running old IBM operating
systems on newer machines. In one case, I had to change
one bit (in the executable image) because the architecture
did change, to get an old OS to run on a new machine.
Then it wasn't new architecture but an enhanced version of
an old architecture. The KA, KI, KL, and KS were machines
that were different but the same architecture. It meant that
usermode code that ran on one could run on the other if, and
only if, they did not have model-specific machine instructions.
However, a monitor built for a KA would not run on a KL because
[what I think of as] the CPU driver were different.
It seems like a mistake to me.
It's not a mistake. It is exactly how manufacturers produced
new CPUs and got them shipped to the field with as little impact
to the customer as possilbe.

I'm not quibbling about esoterics; I'm telling you how the
business (of selling, maintaining, upgrading, and replacing
computer systems) worked. When you see an old OS using
outdated machine instructions running on a new model, you
are seeing a backwards compatible implementation. Now,
this compatibility can be done in many ways. We tried to
pick the one that had the least impact on us and the customer.
Post by glen herrmannsfeldt
Compilers written for OS/360 will still run on today's
Honey, I'm not talking about compilers; I'm talking about OSes.
Compilers only do monitor calls. The don't do monitor execution.
Post by glen herrmannsfeldt
z/Architecture machines, and so will generated code.
(It has been tested with the PL/I and Fortran compilers.)
That is from about 40 years ago.
And learn the difference between the machine instruction
collection that is resident as the monitor and the machine
instruction collection that resides on disk as a user mode
program called the compiler. I know you know the difference
but you're confusing the two.
Post by j***@aol.com
Now, to get a CPU driver of one model to run on another model
requires an emulation of the first model. This means that all
instructions specific to the first CPU would have to trap when
executed on the second model; then it's a small matter of
programming to emulate the machine instruction.
There have been a few cases where IBM didn't maintain
supervisor mode compatibility with a new architecture
as an improved version of S/360, but those are relatively
rare. Problem (user) state code has been maintained,
including the ability to run 24 bit addressing and
31 bit addressing, on 64 bit systems, and mixtures of
all three in the same program.
Backwards compatibility of machine instructions were highly
desired. The difference between our KA and KI, w.r.t.
machine instructions were additions. This meant that any
executable that had been built before KIs could not possibly
have the "new" instructions that were added to the KI
instruction set.

We would have broken the world if we had changed the behaviour
of an old machine instruction.
Post by glen herrmannsfeldt
I remember that emulated double precision on the KA-10
Please note that this KA-10 DP emulation was done _TWO_
generations later. That emulation was shipped on the
KL distribution tape. The only reason the emulation
was done was because we still had
a few customers running their KA programs on their KL systems.
What JMF did was issue a warning to the job whenever he
trapped to the KA double-precision code.
Post by glen herrmannsfeldt
had a different format than hardware double precision
on other models. IBM designed the format of extended
(quadruple) precision floating point to be relatively
easy to write the simulator for, though some bits were
wasted that could have otherwise been used.
When we shipped SMP, we dropped support of the code
that emulated the KA floating point and shipped the
monitor module on the Customer supported tape.

Hoff Hoffman
2004-11-08 22:14:50 UTC
In article <dIydnaVRvqAf-hbcRVn-***@rcn.net>, ***@aol.com writes:
:In article <EQHid.57319$***@attbi_s53>,
: glen herrmannsfeldt <***@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
:>***@aol.com wrote:
:>
:>(snip)
:>
:
:Rethink what you just said. We're talking about real OSes here
:of the olden days, not an app that claims it's an OS.

Most every VAX and many Alpha systems require(d) reworking the operating
system, as the architecturally-permissible differences among various
of the platforms were often substantial.

There were technical reasons why there were new releases of OpenVMS VAX
and of OpenVMS Alpha required for new hardware support -- with the advent
of DSR (Dynamic System Recognition) support within the operating system
and in the various platform consoles, the core operating system upgrade
requirements were often relaxed; so long as the new platform operated
like a supported platform, the operating system could bootstrap. But
these software-requirements were not completely eliminated.

:>There are plenty of people running old IBM operating
:>systems on newer machines. In one case, I had to change
:>one bit (in the executable image) because the architecture
:>did change, to get an old OS to run on a new machine.

Older releases on newer machines doesn't always work, and particularly
assumes the newer machine directly emulates an older machine -- the VAX
7000 model 800 series, for instance, could be configured to report
itself as a model 600 for just this reason. The VAX 7000 model 800
then reported itself as a model 600, which itself caused various levels
of confusion -- folks purchased a model 800, but the system would show
itself as a model 600 due to the emulation.

:Then it wasn't new architecture but an enhanced version of
:an old architecture. The KA, KI, KL, and KS were machines
:that were different but the same architecture. It meant that
:usermode code that ran on one could run on the other if, and
:only if, they did not have model-specific machine instructions.
:However, a monitor built for a KA would not run on a KL because
:[what I think of as] the CPU driver were different.

On OpenVMS, this would be the system-specific loadable code; the
system-specific loadable images. This support can and does vary
by platform, even within an architecture.

:Now, to get a CPU driver of one model to run on another model
:requires an emulation of the first model. This means that all
:instructions specific to the first CPU would have to trap when
:executed on the second model; then it's a small matter of
:programming to emulate the machine instruction.

There is (far) more to platform support than the instruction set.
The I/O layout and other aspects of the physical system can and
do vary across VAX platforms, across Alpha platforms, and even
Integrity boxes -- with each architecture, the platform differences
do decrease, but the differences have yet to disappear entirely.

---------------------------- #include <rtfaq.h> -----------------------------
For additional, please see the OpenVMS FAQ -- www.hp.com/go/openvms/faq
--------------------------- pure personal opinion ---------------------------
Hoff (Stephen) Hoffman OpenVMS Engineering hoff[at]hp.com
j***@aol.com
2004-11-09 10:33:17 UTC
Post by Hoff Hoffman
:>
:>(snip)
:>
:>> Which came first? Ultrix 4.0 or MicroVAX 3100? If Ultrix 4.0
:>> was first, it can't have the [what I think of as] CPU driver
:>> for the 3100 in its image because the image was built before
:>> the hardware existed.
:>
:>The whole idea of an architecture, independent of the
:>implementation, is that software doesn't have to be written
:>for the specific machine.
:Rethink what you just said. We're talking about real OSes here
:of the olden days, not an app that claims it's an OS.
Most every VAX and many Alpha systems require(d) reworking the operating
system, as the architecturally-permissible differences among various
of the platforms were often substantial.
Yup. Device codes are an example.
Post by Hoff Hoffman
There were technical reasons why there were new releases of OpenVMS VAX
and of OpenVMS Alpha required for new hardware support -- with the advent
of DSR (Dynamic System Recognition) support within the operating system
and in the various platform consoles, the core operating system upgrade
requirements were often relaxed; so long as the new platform operated
like a supported platform, the operating system could bootstrap. But
these software-requirements were not completely eliminated.
There is also the software improvements. A new hardware system
would have the latest; the older versions of the software would
not have been developed nor, more importantly tested, on the new
configurations. For instance, the monitor code of Release n
might take advantage of code put in that release for a certain
monitor call to deal with hardware (I/O is often an example).
This means that Release n-1 would not work on the newer hardware.
DEC had a policy to not support all releases done over all time
for all hardware. Each new software revision was the only version
supported, tested, field tested and distributed.
Post by Hoff Hoffman
[...]
When I say instruction set, I am also including the instructions
such as CONO and CONI, PION and PIOFF. More bits used as the
processor models improved. Device codes are also things that
change and/or get expanded w.r.t. bit definitions within the
word.

I don't know about the VAX and its ilk, but the -10s didn't reuse
(or tried not to) bits nor device codes. We avoided a lot
of backwards compatibility contentions.
Post by Hoff Hoffman
The I/O layout and other aspects of the physical system can and
do vary across VAX platforms, across Alpha platforms, and even
Integrity boxes
They would have to.
Post by Hoff Hoffman
.. -- with each architecture, the platform differences
do decrease, but the differences have yet to disappear entirely.
It's not an easy problem to solve. With the hardware business
exploding into thousands of widgets that can plug into the same
slot, it's almost impossible without hardware assists w.r.t. memory
protections, etc.

Richard Tomkins
2004-11-10 04:11:59 UTC
One of the best things about OpenVMS both VAX and Alpha, was the extensive
regression testing done to make a release happen.

In addition to the engineering groups and their huge collection of hardware,
both new and legacy, the Custom Systems Solutions group also did extensive
testing. Within FIS (Factory Installed Software) we also did a huge amount
of testing. Various customer also did extensive testing.

When the SPD said a product was supported, it meant tested and fully
supported, not maybe.

Now I'm not entirely sure what Hoff was getting at, but from a release
viewpoint we introduced new versions of OpenVMS to handle new hardware and
in almost 99% of the cases, the new VAX hardware was supported by adding a
new SYS Loadable to the setup. As for various hardware interfaces such as
SCSI and Fibre Chanels and what not, these were accomodated by adding new
drivers. I cannot remember the directories right now, my system is offline,
but SYS$SYSTEM comes to mind. Later after these intermediate release had
been vetted, the support for the new system would blended back into the main
release. SO you would see a version like 6.1H2, which specifically supported
say a VAX 4000, model 405. later, you would see a release like 6.2 which
would include 6.1H2 and 6.1, as a single release for everything.

rtt
Post by j***@aol.com
Post by Hoff Hoffman
:>
:>(snip)
:>
j***@aol.com
2004-11-10 11:44:35 UTC
Post by Richard Tomkins
One of the best things about OpenVMS both VAX and Alpha, was the extensive
regression testing done to make a release happen.
In addition to the engineering groups and their huge collection of hardware,
both new and legacy, the Custom Systems Solutions group also did extensive
testing. Within FIS (Factory Installed Software) we also did a huge amount
of testing. Various customer also did extensive testing.
When the SPD said a product was supported, it meant tested and fully
supported, not maybe.
Right. That was the way DEC did its business. People forget this
because they're used to a Misoft way of doing software distribution.
Post by Richard Tomkins
Now I'm not entirely sure what Hoff was getting at, but from a release
viewpoint we introduced new versions of OpenVMS to handle new hardware and
in almost 99% of the cases, the new VAX hardware was supported by adding a
new SYS Loadable to the setup. As for various hardware interfaces such as
SCSI and Fibre Chanels and what not, these were accomodated by adding new
drivers. I cannot remember the directories right now, my system is offline,
but SYS$SYSTEM comes to mind. Later after these intermediate release had
been vetted, the support for the new system would blended back into the main
release. SO you would see a version like 6.1H2, which specifically supported
say a VAX 4000, model 405. later, you would see a release like 6.2 which
would include 6.1H2 and 6.1, as a single release for everything.
That is how DEC managed sources so it didn't have to support each
and every release it ever did. If we hadn't merged code into one
source, we would have been supporting n flavors of each and every
operating system plus their CUSPs (where CUSPs are user mode
programs that were useful to use the system as in PIP, TECO, spooler
software, etc.).

Frank Themann
2004-10-28 17:32:25 UTC

Winfried Bergmann wrote:

[...]
Post by Winfried Bergmann
I've downloaded an ultrix 4.0 distribution for VAX from an ftp server,
containing 38 files, which I think are TK50 images (record size of files is
10240 byte, except the first two, with 512 byte record size). I'd like to
[...]

Is this server public? Would be some interesting software for my little
VAX. What licenses would be neccessary?

Regards,

Frank
Dennis Grevenstein
2004-10-28 19:53:16 UTC
Post by Frank Themann
What licenses would be neccessary?
ULTRIX will run with a two user license without any
PAK (= product activation key). This includes all
the normal goodies like X11, TCP/IP, NFS, cc...

If you care to run this 10+ year old operating
system on your 15 year old hardware on a completely
legal basis you would most likely have to call HP to
buy an ULTRIX license. Only if they still remember
what ULTRIX is of course.

mfg
Dennis
--
Nostalgie ist die innige Sehnsucht nach jenen Tagen, in denen alles so viel
besser und schoener war, mit Ausnahme der zahlreichen Dinge, die ebenso
beschissen waren, wie sie heute sind.
Winfried Bergmann
2004-10-29 06:56:02 UTC
Post by Dennis Grevenstein
Post by Frank Themann
What licenses would be neccessary?
ULTRIX will run with a two user license without any
PAK (= product activation key). This includes all
the normal goodies like X11, TCP/IP, NFS, cc...
If you care to run this 10+ year old operating
system on your 15 year old hardware on a completely
legal basis you would most likely have to call HP to
buy an ULTRIX license. Only if they still remember
what ULTRIX is of course.
I think, that falls under the ancient unix license from SCO, which makes
this free to obtain.

Check also this link:
http://www.xanthosmicrosystems.com/~joachim/linx.html
Dennis Grevenstein
2004-10-29 07:38:33 UTC
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Post by Dennis Grevenstein
If you care to run this 10+ year old operating
system on your 15 year old hardware on a completely
legal basis you would most likely have to call HP to
buy an ULTRIX license. Only if they still remember
what ULTRIX is of course.
I think, that falls under the ancient unix license from SCO, which makes
this free to obtain.
So, now SCO can even give away things for free that belong
to DEC^^^Comp^^^HP? Interesting.
You might want to read this license occasionally:
tttp://public.planetmirror.com/pub/ancient-unix/
The SCO license specificly excludes anything with
SystemV in it too.

I certainly don't want to take you the fun of running
ULTRIX. I very much doubt that anybody cares if you
do, but it's more like abandonware. It's like downloading
MS-DOS for an old 386 to play some old games.

mfg
Dennis
--
Je besser die Armee, desto schlechter das Essen.
Das haelt die Krieger bei schlechter Laune.
Asterix
Winfried Bergmann
2004-10-29 09:56:23 UTC
Post by Dennis Grevenstein
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Post by Dennis Grevenstein
If you care to run this 10+ year old operating
system on your 15 year old hardware on a completely
legal basis you would most likely have to call HP to
buy an ULTRIX license. Only if they still remember
what ULTRIX is of course.
I think, that falls under the ancient unix license from SCO, which makes
this free to obtain.
So, now SCO can even give away things for free that belong
to DEC^^^Comp^^^HP? Interesting.
tttp://public.planetmirror.com/pub/ancient-unix/
The SCO license specificly excludes anything with
SystemV in it too.
I certainly don't want to take you the fun of running
ULTRIX. I very much doubt that anybody cares if you
do, but it's more like abandonware. It's like downloading
MS-DOS for an old 386 to play some old games.
You're right, the SCO license is a source code license for the unix code,
but that was not my question anyway...
So, is there anybody, who has ultrix running on a mvax 3100?

regards,
Winfried
Dennis Grevenstein
2004-10-29 11:33:06 UTC
Post by Winfried Bergmann
So, is there anybody, who has ultrix running on a mvax 3100?
That's not the point, is it?
It's the usual procedure for restoring the tape sets.
You write them back with dd and pray that the resulting
tapes will be bootable. An the other hand you might
just as well try ULTRIX 4.5. It's more modern and
much better if you want to run the freeware offered
on the net. Booting from cdrom is much easier for
VAX. 4.0 is a pretty old release.

mfg
Dennis
Asterix
Michael Kraemer
Where to get that release, and what's the main difference to, say, 4.3 ?
Dennis Grevenstein
2004-10-29 13:23:45 UTC
Post by Michael Kraemer
and what's the main difference to, say, 4.3 ?
There are some changes in 4.3A that affect
binary compatibilty. I'm not sure if DECwindows/Motif
was introduced in 4.3 or 4.3A. In general the older
the ULTRIX release the more bug free it is.

mfg
Dennis
Asterix
Dennis Grevenstein
2004-10-29 14:12:11 UTC
Post by Dennis Grevenstein
was introduced in 4.3 or 4.3A. In general the older
the ULTRIX release the more bug free it is.
Sorry, that's wrong of course. The newer the better.
Older ULTRIX versions had some bugs that were fixed
over the time.

mfg
Dennis
Asterix
Winfried Bergmann
2004-10-29 14:24:41 UTC
Post by Dennis Grevenstein
Post by Michael Kraemer
and what's the main difference to, say, 4.3 ?
There are some changes in 4.3A that affect
binary compatibilty. I'm not sure if DECwindows/Motif
was introduced in 4.3 or 4.3A. In general the older
the ULTRIX release the more bug free it is.
I'd like to get 4.2 running, because of the available sources. I'm not
interessted in running a unix for working with (therefore I can have
solaris, linux, openstep, unixware, sco unix and several BSDs, all running
on my PC at home). Dumping the images to tape with dd is also not the point
(although I'm using VMS on the vax for writing the tapes). I can't boot the
tape, I've written with VMS (using the first image from the distribution),
but I don't know, if there are further images needed on the boot tape, if
the blocksize I used is correct (512 bytes in think), or if I've correctly
dumped the image file to tape from VMS, or if I need some flags when booting
from tape. I'd like to have a list of the ultrix distribution on TK50 tapes,
e.g. which packages, files, images are on the tapes, how to boot the vax
from tk50 drive. Is there a documentation available, how to install ultrix
from tk50 tapes to a microvax?

regards,
Winfried
Dennis Grevenstein
2004-10-29 20:18:44 UTC
Post by Winfried Bergmann
(although I'm using VMS on the vax for writing the tapes). I can't boot the
tape, I've written with VMS (using the first image from the distribution),
but I don't know, if there are further images needed on the boot tape, if
the blocksize I used is correct (512 bytes in think), or if I've correctly
dumped the image file to tape from VMS, or if I need some flags when booting
from tape. I'd like to have a list of the ultrix distribution on TK50 tapes,
e.g. which packages, files, images are on the tapes, how to boot the vax
from tk50 drive.
If you have a 3100 the firmware should tell you anything
with "SHOW DEV".
I think I remember something about a different block size.
Maybe try bs=10240.
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Is there a documentation available, how to install ultrix
from tk50 tapes to a microvax?
Yes, it's called "Guide to Installing ULTRIX" and it's
about 0.5cm of paper. :-) Please don't ask me where to
get that as pdf, I don't know. I don't have it here,
but installing is pretty easy. All you do is booting
from the installation media and then you get a script
guided installation. You should select something like
"advanced" or "expert" installation method. (I don't
remember exactly). That way you can just install
everything. A normal installation might leave you
without man pages etc.
If you have ever installed a pre-4.0 OSF/1 you will
know what to do. ULTRIX is just a stupid BSD after all.

mfg
Dennis
Asterix
Winfried Bergmann
2004-11-02 10:21:45 UTC
Post by Dennis Grevenstein
If you have a 3100 the firmware should tell you anything
with "SHOW DEV".
I think I remember something about a different block size.
Maybe try bs=10240.
Problem is, I can't boot from the tape, I tried to create. I don't know, if
there is a problem with the block size, which files from the distribution
must be present on the boot tape, which flags (if any) are required for the
boot command on the vax ...
Post by Dennis Grevenstein
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Is there a documentation available, how to install ultrix
from tk50 tapes to a microvax?
Yes, it's called "Guide to Installing ULTRIX" and it's
about 0.5cm of paper. :-) Please don't ask me where to
get that as pdf, I don't know. I don't have it here,
but installing is pretty easy. All you do is booting
from the installation media and then you get a script
guided installation.
I don't get this far

thanks anyway,
Winfried
Dennis Grevenstein
2004-11-03 19:42:11 UTC
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Problem is, I can't boot from the tape, I tried to create. I don't know, if
there is a problem with the block size, which files from the distribution
must be present on the boot tape, which flags (if any) are required for the
boot command on the vax ...
Why don't you look at the "tapefiles" file you most likely
downloaded with the files?

mfg
Dennis
--
Das Schicksal ist wie ein Gorilla im Kaefig.
Es bewirft Dich mit Kot wenn Du es verspottest.
Eric Smith
2004-11-05 02:55:59 UTC
An the other hand you might just as well try ULTRIX 4.5. It's more
modern and much better if you want to run the freeware offered on the
net.
I'd really like to get a copy of Ultrix 4.5 or Ultrix Workstation
Software 4.5 to run on my MicroVAX 3520, if anyone has an extra
copy they don't need.

If you want to reply by private email, please remove the obvious
spamproofing from my email address.

Thanks!
Eric
Frank Themann
2004-10-29 16:30:16 UTC
Winfried Bergmann wrote:

[...]
Post by Winfried Bergmann
http://www.xanthosmicrosystems.com/~joachim/linx.html
This is great! Kinda slow for my DSL, but everything I need! Thanks a
lot!

Frank
Timothy Stark
2006-01-27 00:49:36 UTC
Post by Frank Themann
Post by Winfried Bergmann
http://www.xanthosmicrosystems.com/~joachim/linx.html
This is great! Kinda slow for my DSL, but everything I need! Thanks a
lot!
Ok, I tried to access that web site but it did not work. His web site was
gone.

Thanks,
Tim
Michael Kraemer
2006-01-27 11:06:52 UTC
Post by Timothy Stark
Ok, I tried to access that web site but it did not work. His web site was
gone.
the new URL is

http://www.xanthos.se/~joachim/

Hoff Hoffman
2004-11-04 19:17:42 UTC
In article <***@uni-berlin.de>, "Winfried Bergmann" <***@empuron.com> writes:

:I've downloaded an ultrix 4.0 distribution for VAX from an ftp server,
:containing 38 files, which I think are TK50 images (record size of files is
:10240 byte, except the first two, with 512 byte record size). I'd like to
:get this running on my MicroVAX 3100 (/10 I think) with an external TK50
:SCSI drive.
:I don't have a clue, how to get those images installed on the machine. The
:VAX is currently running OpenVMS 5.5.2 and I don't know, how to produce tape
:images, which boot from the TK50 drive, how to distribute the images to
:tapes and so on. I'm not sure, if the ultrix distribution is even supported
:on this machine. Does anyone have some information on this? Haven't found
:much for this object in the internet.

The MicroVAX 3100 model 10 was one of the few MicroVAX 3100 series
systems officially supported by ULTRIX. The MicroVAX 3100 models
10 and 20, and the VAXstation 3100 models 30, 38, 40 and 48 with
GPX graphics; no SPX support. (This all per an internal notes
conference -- if this is important and I can get the cycles to dig
around, I can likely find the old procedures for making copies of
the ULTRIX distribution tapes using dd or some such tool.)

Here are a few AskQ articles that might be of interest...

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/asktima/operating_systems/
0093E6C5-0022E8A0-1C0125.html

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/asktima/operating_systems/
0095AC2A-106968F7-1C010B.html

Unfortunately, I don't immediately see the "How to Duplicate
Distribution Media - Shell Script using dd(1)" article cited.

Winfried Bergmann
2004-11-05 08:37:03 UTC
Post by Hoff Hoffman
[...]
Thanks, Hoff! I already got the layout of the tape and created some to try
out. Perhaps, my tape image is faulty, I don't know.

regards,
Winfried
Pressed Rat
2004-11-06 18:12:11 UTC
Post by Hoff Hoffman
:on this machine. Does anyone have some information on this? Haven't found
:much for this object in the internet.
The MicroVAX 3100 model 10 was one of the few MicroVAX 3100 series
systems officially supported by ULTRIX. The MicroVAX 3100 models
10 and 20, and the VAXstation 3100 models 30, 38, 40 and 48 with
GPX graphics; no SPX support. (This all per an internal notes
conference -- if this is important and I can get the cycles to dig
around, I can likely find the old procedures for making copies of
the ULTRIX distribution tapes using dd or some such tool.)
[ snip ]
Post by Winfried Bergmann
Thanks, Hoff! I already got the layout of the tape and created some to try
out. Perhaps, my tape image is faulty, I don't know.
Hi,

FWIW, I installed Ultrix 4.0 from a TK50 on to a VAXstation 3100 about a
year ago. I used the shell script below to create the tape on another
Ultrix box, a DECstation 5000/25, but it should also work on other Unix
systems. Sorry, I don't know how you would create the tape under VMS.

To boot the tape, use the 'show dev' command from the ROM prompt to find
the name of your tape drive then the 'boot' command to boot from it. The
Ultrix installation script will lead you through partitioning the disk
and installing the packages.

Regards,
George

=== begin shell script ===
#!/bin/sh
#
# mk-tk50.sh
#
# Make a VAX Ultrix 4.00 boot tape
# on a TK50 attached as SCSI ID 1 on a DECstation 5000
#
MTRDEV="/dev/rmt0h"
MTNRDEV="/dev/nrmt0h"
mt -f $MTRDEV rewind
dd bs=512 if=file.01 of=$MTNRDEV conv=sync
dd bs=512 if=file.02 of=$MTNRDEV conv=sync
dd bs=10240 if=file.03 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.04 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.05 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.06 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.07 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.08 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.09 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.10 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.11 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.12 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.13 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.14 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.15 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.16 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.17 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.18 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.19 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.20 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.21 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.22 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.23 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.24 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.25 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.26 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.27 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.28 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.29 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.30 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.31 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.32 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.33 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.34 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.35 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.36 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.37 of=$MTNRDEV
dd bs=10240 if=file.38 of=$MTNRDEV
=== end shell script ===
Wolfgang Rupp
2004-12-14 11:03:26 UTC
Post by Winfried Bergmann
I've downloaded an ultrix 4.0 distribution for VAX from an ftp server,
containing 38 files, which I think are TK50 images (record size of files is
10240 byte, except the first two, with 512 byte record size). I'd like to
get this running on my MicroVAX 3100 (/10 I think) with an external TK50
SCSI drive.
I have various versions of Ultrix/VAX on CD and a CD ROM drive that works
in the VS3100 systems. I could borrow you both.

Mail me at rupp@ if you are interested.

Wolfgang Rupp
"spamtrap" is a valid address. For faster response, write to "rupp".
Winfried Bergmann
2004-12-14 11:46:20 UTC
Post by Wolfgang Rupp
Post by Winfried Bergmann
I've downloaded an ultrix 4.0 distribution for VAX from an ftp server,
containing 38 files, which I think are TK50 images (record size of files is
10240 byte, except the first two, with 512 byte record size). I'd like to
get this running on my MicroVAX 3100 (/10 I think) with an external TK50
SCSI drive.
I have various versions of Ultrix/VAX on CD and a CD ROM drive that works
in the VS3100 systems. I could borrow you both.
Wolfgang Rupp
Thanks Wolfgang! I sent you an email.

regards,
Winfried